The gorgeous banner that is my blog title was created by Kayden McLeod, using an image of Jimmy Thomas

Wednesday, February 01, 2012

Guest: G. MITCHELL BAKER

Today my guest is G. Mitchell Baker, or Mitch as he tells his friends to call him. Mitch is a relatively new author, recently published by XoXo Publishing™ in their mainstream fiction line. Apart from being a very entertaining author, Mitch is a smart, witty, charming man and I hope you enjoy getting to know a little more about him and his book(s) today. So first a look at the book, then a chat with the man behind the words. Welcome G. Mitchell Baker...


The Napkin Manuscript: Involvement – Volume I and Volume II

Jon Wohlford Emerson fends off the effects of both personal and professional devastation … getting to know colorful street characters like Bug Dog, Chilly Belly, and Speedy G, they not only scheme to overcome Jon’s adversity, but become good friends. Jon again learns to involve himself in his children’s lives by writing a Father’s Lessons to his Children on paper napkins. Eventually the napkins take on a life of their own and bridge the relationship Jon desires between Jon, now the better father and his welcoming daughters.

"The Napkin Manuscript, Involvement by G. Mitchell Baker, is an intensely cerebral tory. Those who seek to understand the meaning of their existence are destined to discover, all life is a quest. Baker’s particular quest includes archetypal characters and classic mythology reminiscent of Joseph Campbell’s philosophies. It is also rich with symbolism reflecting Carl Jung’s journeys through the mind (dreams, myths, archetypes). The characters sprinkled generously throughout the story represent multilayered archetypes, each one necessary for the next rung on Baker’s ladder of self-discovery. From wealth and prominence, to rags and homelessness, the road taken here is often disturbingly uncomfortable. A good read, a bumpy ride, and a light at the end of the tunnel." ~ Joan Leslie Woodruff, MEd, OTR; Traditional Stories and Foods (1990); Neighbors (1993); The Shiloh Renewal (1998); Ghost in the Rainbow (2002); Wishes and Windmills (2003); Polar Bears in the Kitchen (2009).

The Interview:

1. How long have you been writing?

Initially I started writing as a columnist, writer of op editorials and other miscellaneous contributions. I began writing in the novel format about fifteen years ago. Writing in the feature-length screenplay format, began for me in about 2000, when I lived Southern California. I started running into agents who kept saying things like “You have to adapt that story into a Screenplay”. From that I actually played a small part in testing the first generation of Screenplay writing software… I began doing both… writing Screenplays and adapting them to novel format and writing novels and adapting the stories to screenplay…

2. How long have you been a published author?

Having published as a columnist, writer of op-editorials and miscellaneous contributions, my first novels, The Napkin Manuscript: Involvement – Volume I and The Napkin Manuscript: Involvement – Volume II were recently released through XoXo Publishing in various eBook formats. My writing of novels and screenplays goes back at least fifteen years…

3. What titles do you have available?

The Napkin Manuscript: Involvement – Volume I released in various eBook formats through XoXo Publishing, December 2011 - The Napkin Manuscript: Involvement – Volume II released in various eBook formats through XoXo Publishing, January 2012 - I just learned both of The Napkin Manuscript Novels are the subject of internal discussion at XoXo and might soon be heading to print…

4. What made you choose the subject of this book?

Parenting, children of parents and the choices between them interest me … the question of how parents choose to act with respect their children interests me and I wanted to write on these subjects from the perspective of creating entertaining fiction so to bring as much insight to these subjects as possible… In The Napkin Manuscript series of novels, the tension evolves from the challenge a father’s faces for being and remaining Involved in his children’s lives. Then the challenge for the father is to be Consistently Involved (The Napkin Manuscript: Consistency: Volumes I & II). From the consistent involvement, there then can be an Awareness evolving from choosing to be consistently involved (The Napkin Manuscript: Awareness: Volumes I & II). From the Awareness may come Nurturance and the achievement of the kind of parenting (father-child) relationships that are both full and meaningful…(The Napkin Manuscript: Nurture: Volumes I & II).

5. Do you have any new titles coming soon? Will you be venturing into the area of fiction anytime soon?

‘ANNT’ is Adaptable Neo-Nature Technology …
ANNT: Axiom – Volume I is to release in various eBook formats through Double Dragon Publishing, March 2012
ANNT: Axiom – Volume II is to release in various eBook formats through Double Dragon Publishing, mid-2012
ANNT: Axiom – Volume III is to release in various eBook formats through Double Dragon Publishing, late-2012

6. What is your favourite genre and why?

I like writing in the genres of Contemporary Fiction, Science Fiction, Young Adult Novel, Supernatural/Paranormal Mystery, and Illustrated Children’s Books.

Presently, I have received positive feedback regarding a Young Adult Novel entitled Kirby ‘Webb’ Webster and Kinny the Rodeo Hound …a novel addressing the adverse effects of complex society on youth, otherwise struggling to get through their day, let alone having enough reserve to consider their rightful place in the legacy of their own family…

There is also an illustrated children’s book Garrett Guy receiving serious consideration for development into a series of children’s books … This project focuses on a day in the life of Garrett and his positive relationships with others through his outdoor activities.

Then there is the recent news of the “Green Light” that came down from XoXo Publishing for me to begin the adaptation of two Supernatural/Paranormal Mystery stories from feature length screenplays to novel format. Watch for the Lethal Believers series in novels to begin release in late 2012 and early 2013 … these stories are international in scope, but are grounded in the supernatural of the Southwest United States … http://www.facebook.com/pages/Lethal-Believers/347943865229788.

7. What, to you, is the most exciting part of the writing process?

I have always enjoyed researching ideas and concepts … bringing far-reaching ideas and concepts together and creating meaningful stories … layered themes and strong plot driven by well thought-out and interesting characters. For example, the Science Fiction trilogy “ANNT: Axiom”, the new generation of Adaptable Neo-Nature Technology is an incredible journey merging SCI-FI creativity with hard research … I love to research and bring far-reaching ideas and concepts together and to hopefully entertain…

8. If you could co-author a book with anyone, who would you choose and why?

Wow … an interesting question that I have never really considered before…
But then again, as a father, I have already experienced the great pleasure of illustrating and writing a children’s book with my son … I think it would be so much fun to write a young adult novel with my other child…

In the realm of Science Fiction, I have always considered it would be a privilege to work with the Sci-Fi legend… Richard Matheson… I often wonder what common ground we could find to create a story, theme, and characters… the social context… the possibilities… oh the possibilities…

In the genre of Supernatural/Paranormal Mystery I find the intersection (tension) between reality (perhaps realism) and fantasy most intriguing… I would consider writing a Supernatural Mystery/Thriller with you Denyse if you agreed to leave the fantasy to me and you (reluctantly) agreed to manage the realism (quite the role reversal don’t you think) … wink wink, nod nod… I cannot even begin imagine the creative tension in that project… again with the nod, nod wink wink… (Smiles)

9. Where can readers find you on the web?

You Will Find My Latest Work at:

The Napkin Manuscript: Involvement -Volume I

The Napkin Manuscript: Involvement -Volume II



3 comments:

  1. WOW! Thanks for doing this interview Denyse!!! Now I'm really interested in G.Mitchell Baker!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A book written by both Mitch and Denyse? Wow, now that is something I would love to see.
    Great interview as always Denyse and great answers Mitch not that I would expect any less from the two of you. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. "WOW" Indeed ... thank you for the enthusiasm Nikki ... and Penny Hello and "Make it so..." You have the power girl... ;-)

    As for you Denyse ... Thank You so much for inviting me to your Fantasy Pages ...! Its is always great working with you ... always fun and fantasy... :-)

    Now... let's get on to the ice-breaker ... "What music am I listening to these days...? Well ... I'm pretty Retro these days ... Diverse but Retro (Some would say Classic, yet Divers... hmmmm) ... There is The Guess Who - Live at the Paramount (For when I want to 'Shake Some Bones'). There is the three album set by Nina Simone ... But what I am really liking these days is a two song combination ... "This is the Picture" leading into "In Your eyes" by Peter Gabriel and off the 'So' CD. When played very loud ... (louder) ... this puts me in a good place ... Now ... what was that...? About my writing...? Well let's see... ;-) GMB

    ReplyDelete