Sunday, December 05, 2010

GUEST: Sandy Lender

Why Should I Read Sandy Lender’s Stuff?
By Sandy Lender

For my current online book tour, the question was posed, “If I’d never heard of me, would I read my book?” Being a fantasy fan at heart, I have to say “yes” to that. I love to find new fantasy books as much as the next reader!

What Choices We Made, Short Stories from the History of Onweald, Volume II, is a quick read, so it’s not asking the reader to make a huge investment of time with a new-to-someone author. It’s 180 pages of short stories, quick notes from the author introducing some items, and a romance-with-scary-stuff novella. The characters throughout are memorable, likeable (although the bad guys are extremely UNlikeable), relatable, well-written, and the type of characters I like to read about (and write).

What gets me about What Choices We Made is the “moving” bits that stand out and tug at my heart when I read it. I had to re-read the manuscript when editing it, and that was several months after NaNoWriMo 2009 when I’d written it. I’d forgotten where the sorrowful parts were or where the hilarious parts were or where the scary parts were, right? So I had moments where an exhausted mother caught me off guard or poor Hrazon (a wizard) had me giggling at the page or a nasty demon had me jumping out of my skin while trying to edit.

That kind of writing is cool no matter who the author is.

Then there’s the ultimate: dragons. I’m known for my dragons—good ones, bad ones, funny ones. I’m the author with the catchy dragon saying on her website: “Some days, you just want the dragon to win.” I’ve been using that since 2006 because, doggonit, there are some days when the dragon slayer needs to be put in his place. In What Choices We Made, Vol II, a helpful dragon makes a brief appearance in The Influential Love Story of Ella and Rohne. I can’t give away what happens with the other dragon, but let’s just say it was one of those sorrowful parts that was as difficult to write as it was to read while editing.

All that to say, the answer is “yes.” Even if I didn’t know who Sandy Lender is, even if I hadn’t read any of my other novels, even if I’d never visited http://www.authorsandylender.com/, I’d still want to read What Choices We Made, Short Stories from the History of Onweald, Volume II...

“Some days, you just want the dragon to win.”



The second short story chapbook supporting Sandy Lender's Choices series includes the troubled love story novella: The Influential Love Story of Ella and Rohne. Rated PG for some violence.
Welcome to a world of dragons, magic, sword and sorcery. Dive into the legends tha tmake up the history of the Choices series from established fantasy author Sandy Lender. Both new and familiar characters will enchant you. From families in peril to youth in scrapes, the men and monsters who shaped Onweald politics left epic tales in their wake for you...

As a special treat for Choices readers, this volume includes the love story of Ella and Rohne. She's a general's daughter with quite modern ideas about growing old at her father's side. He's a moody old god who's used to getting His way. When they clash, she elects to run away with one of His guards. Catching the fugitives would be easier if the evil Julette's minions weren't crashing the party with her poisonous plans.

A stand-alone novella that newcomers to the series can enjoy, The Influential Love Story of Ella and Rohne offers suspense, horror, action, fantasy, and a sweet romance when an opinionated young lady faces her future--and a feisty god.


2 comments:

  1. Hello! And thank you for hosting me today during the tour! I look forward to visiting with readers today to answer questions and such...should be cool!

    From Sandy Lender
    "Some days, you just want the dragon to win."

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and sharing your thoughts.