Monday, November 02, 2009

Guest: LYNDA DREWS

Please welcome my guest today, Lynda Drews...

My dad was an alcoholic. I remember escaping to my bedroom to find refuge, curling up with a book in a down-filled chair, trying to shut out the arguments from below. Books sheltered me from the pain and embarrassment I felt. Since I couldn’t bring friends over to my house, books became my buddies. Maybe I can thank my dad’s vice for helping to stimulate my “need” to read.

Forever I’d been intrigued by mysteries. I’d loved Agatha Christie, Nancy Drew, and the Hardy Boys. Upon opening a Highlife Magazine, I’d immediately turn to the page to uncover the concealed objects within the picture. Treasure hunts were irresistible. The Game of Clue logical. And problem solving, stimulating. As an adult, my friends thought I was a contradiction. A “Shit” rarely crossed my lips, yet I loved to immerse myself in books about serial killers and gore. So in 1984, when I lived through the tragic events surrounding my best friend and running partner’s mysterious bathtub drowning, even though I was feeling terrible pain, like the community, I was absorbed.

As a freshman in college, I'd really enjoyed two basic studies courses: creative writing and introduction to computer science. The latter was a new and emerging field and I was encouraged by my professors to be the first graduate. So, I put my writing passion on the backburner, until I retired from my 30-year career with IBM. Ever since Pam Bulik’s death and her husband’s subsequent first-degree murder trial, I'd believed I had a story to tell. To me, the most unbelievable thing was that the Buliks were integral members of our close-knit running group. It was hard to believe that one of our members could be arrested for planning the murder of another, while a third member surfaced as the motive. I embarked on writing Run at Destruction: A True Fatal Love Triangle, to resolve, for myself, why Pam had actually drowned. In turn, I wanted to pass this knowledge along to others that might be headed down her same path.

One of my Amazon.com reviewers said, “I cannot help but think that Run at Destruction is a rarity in the true crime genre simply by virtue of the fact that Lynda Drews was one of the closest confidants of the murder victim. This gives the book a level of personal insight and authenticity seldom reached by investigative journalists and big-time writers who later try to elbow their way onto a crime scene.” Writing my book was very personal. As Publishers Weekly said: “passages about [the author and victim’s] shared moments, and Drews's feelings of emptiness in the decades since, are remarkable.”

I hope you agree…

About the Book


Deeply immersed in the close-knit culture of long-distance running, Pam and Bob Bulik were avid competitors. To all appearances, they were also a happily married couple, devoted to each other and their two young children. Then, Bob made a fateful decision. He began an extramarital affair that led to his wife’s tragic death and to one of the most sensationalized and heavily attended trials in Green Bay’s history.

Candidly written by Pam’s best friend, Run at Destruction exposes the irresistible human passions that make us so vulnerable, and the ultimate price we pay for choosing to act on them. You’ll relive every detail of the crime and the exhaustive police investigation, and watch the courtroom drama from a front-row seat as a major homicide case unfolds in a small town where everyone knows all the players. Then, when you’ve heard all the evidence, you can decide for yourself – was Pam Bulik’s death a terrible accident, intentional suicide, negligent homicide or premeditated murder?

6 comments:

  1. Hi Lynda. Sounds like an amazing story... must have been shocking as a friend and intriguing as a writer to be part of something like that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brigit - Pam's death and events leading to it were something that I could never have imagined. It is a story that has stayed with me forever. Since my book's release in August, I've met with about 30 book club groups who have chosen it for their selection. Interesting... the discussions could be endless...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Heather. Sounds like an amazing journey!

    C~

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a compelling story - I'm definitely intrigued, Lynda.

    Thanks for the introduction, Denyse!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lynda

    I found your blog very interesting, and in some ways, very familiar. My father was an alcoholic too, but we were extremely lucky in that he never drank at home, kept to a strict budget, never got violent, and never argued. Still, I grew up spending most of my free time either reading - or writing, and both were encouraged by my parents.

    Your book sounds very interesting. I've been a fan of true-life crime books, especially Ann Rule's, ever since I discovered them, back in the early 80's. And I live in Oshkosh, not so very far from Green Bay - I remember reading about this particular incident, and finding all kinds of questions that were unanswered in the news coverage.

    R.L. Stuemke

    ReplyDelete
  6. R.L. Stuemke - thanks for sharing your own story about your home environment as a child. I do think you would really relate to my book, Run at Destruction. It might also clear up some unanswered questions. My best friend, Pam, who mysteriously drowned in this story, had an alcoholic father, too. That was one thing that pulled us together when we first met.
    I've been an Ann Rule fan for years. That's was I was so excited to have her endorse my book!
    Take Care,
    Lynda

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and sharing your thoughts.