Monday, August 25, 2008

Guest Blogger: LISA JACKSON

Today it is my distinct pleasure to have author Lisa Jackson as my guest. Lisa's forte is romantic suspense, and if you haven't had a chance to look into her wonderful books, now's your opportunity to discover this wonderful and talented writer....

People always ask me why I chose to write the kind of books I did, specifically Romantic Suspense Novels. It was a natural evolution for me, I think. I grew up cutting my teeth on mystery, read Nancy Drew as a kid and as I got older got into Gothic novels with mystery. Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte and Rebecca by Daphne DuMaurier come to mind.

So when my sister, Nancy Bush, and I started writing romance novels, we were asked to "cut down on the mystery and suspense" which was difficult. Fortunately, I began writing "bigger" novels in the early 1990's and I was allowed to write whatever kind of book I wanted. Ha! I added suspense and, as it turned out, the more I added, the more popular were my books. What a thrill!! Now, my books are a balance of romance and suspense, but I gotta admit, suspense is usually the driving force.

I play up the suspense angle on my web site http://www.lisajackson.com/, as well as in my book trailers and information about each book. (Check out the latest trailer for LEFT TO DIE and you'll see what I mean.)

I guess I was lucky enough to see my work come full circle as now my editor is saying, "put in more mystery and suspense!"

15 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your background in reading is so familiar. I did the same thing. Many a night I would curl up in my bed and read Nancy Drew. I loved her! Couldn't get enough of the books. Then as I became older, I read gothics. I guess that's why I write stories with ghostly or strange occurances. LOL! Can't seem to get it out of my blood. Next came the romance novels. Found a true niche there.

    Thanks for posting Lisa and I wish you the very best in your writing!

    Hugs,
    Judith

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you're writing what you want to write now, because I love it. I'm a huge fan!

    Helen
    www.helensheroes.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I so loved Left To Die and can't wait for the next one. I love your books because I hardly guess the killer and I love being suprised at the end.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post! Do you write anything along the paranormal suspense lines? I will be checking out your books and website today too! Thanks for being here.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have read quite a few of your books Lisa and look forward to reading Left to Die! Writing books is what you do best and keep them coming.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lisa - thank you again for being my guest. Your books sound incredible, and it's a pleasure to meet you!!!

    Hugs,
    Denyse

    ReplyDelete
  9. Loved this book and Lost Souls as well:) Can't wait to read more.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Lisa, Thanks for sharing this post with us today. I still pick up a Nancy Drew mystery every now and again!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I saw your trailer, Lisa. It was great, chilling actually.

    Elaine Cantrell
    www.elainecantrell.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Have several of your books and enjoyed Fatal Burn, See How She Dies and Dark Emerald, especially.

    As a pre-teen I read Nancy Drew and also the Hardy Boys - think I must have read EVERY ONE of the Nancy Drew.

    My cousin and I would take turns buying them and when done reading them switch - so we actually only had to come up with the money for half of them.

    I will read any genre, although my favorites are historical, romantic suspense and murder mysteries.

    I anxiously await reading Left To Die.!!

    Wishing you continued success.

    Have a GREAT evening everyone.!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lisa your book Kiss of the Moon was the very first romance book I read. I fell in love with reading romances right then and there. That was about 2 years ago. Whenever I see a book of yours I buy it. I still think I have 500 of yours to go lol! I love your medieval ones the most, just something about those sexy nights and rogues that turns me on lol.


    My sister introduced me to your books. She went to Mexico with you and your husband a few years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Editorial calls do change and I'm glad Lisa is back to home base :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hey, thanks for all your comments. I just feel very lucky that I get to do what I love for a living. How cool is that? As for the question about my books having paranormal in them, I do dabble in it. COLD BLOODED and SORCERESS come to mind. My "vampire" book, LOST SOULS isn't really paranormal, but it seems like it is. Anyway, thanks to you all!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and sharing your thoughts.